How to copy emails to sales forcce
This page is excerpted from the Salesforce.com documentation on the SFDC website here.
It will be updated with our changes (when I have the time).
Guidelines on Using Email to Salesforce | Salesforce
Guidelines on Using Email to Salesforce
|Available in: All Editions except Database.com
If you use a company-provided or third-party email account, you can use Email to Salesforce to assign emails to leads, contacts, opportunities, and other records in Salesforce. When composing, forwarding, or replying to email, simply enter your Email to Salesforce address in the BCC field or any recipient field. Salesforce receives a copy of the email and, depending on your configuration, adds it to either the Activity History related list of the matching records or to the My Unresolved Items page, where you can manually assign it.
- An administrator must activate Email to Salesforce for your organization. After activation, Salesforce generates a unique Email to Salesforce address for each user. Users receive an automated email from Salesforce that contains their Email to Salesforce address. Users can view their Email to Salesforce address in their personal settings under . The Email to Salesforce address is automatically generated and cannot be changed.
- You can also save a message as an email activity without sending or resending it to another person. Simply forward the email with your Email to Salesforce address in the To field. Be sure that there are no other email address in the To, CC, and BCCfields. Salesforce receives a copy of the email and searches the From, To, and CC fields in the forwarded email for the email addresses of your leads and contacts. If any leads or contacts are found, Salesforce saves the email in the Activity History related list on the appropriate record.
- When you use Email to Salesforce to save a message as an email activity, the default task type is specified by the Send Email Default setting. You can change the default value by editing the Task Type picklist field.
- You don’t need to configure Email to Salesforce to associate emails to matching records. Salesforce searches emails sent to your Email to Salesforce address for a record ID, then looks for the record. If related records are found, Salesforce adds the email to either the Activity History related list on those records or to the My Unresolved Items page, where you can manually assign them.
- You can use Email to Salesforce with email client applications such as IBM® Lotus Notes® and Microsoft® Outlook®, as well as webmail such as Gmail® and Yahoo! Mail®.
- The email addresses you use to send email to Salesforce must be configured in the My Acceptable Email Addressesfield in the My Email to Salesforce setup page.
- Email to Salesforce attempts to match the email address found in the To or CC fields with the one in the Email standard field. It doesn’t support matching on custom email fields.
- The maximum number of email addresses that Email to Salesforce can match is 50. If the combined number of addresses in the To and CC fields exceeds this limit, Email to Salesforce processes only the first 50 unique addresses in the email.
- If Email to Salesforce matches an email address to multiple lead or contact records in Salesforce, you can choose to associate the email with all matching records, the oldest record, or the record with the most activity.
- If Email to Salesforce matches an email to multiple opportunity records in Salesforce, the email is included in the activity history on all matching open records.
- If you configure Email to Salesforce to associate emails to matching leads or contacts, Salesforce searches the To and CC fields for the email addresses of your leads or contacts. If any leads or contacts are found, Salesforce saves the email to the Activity History related list on the appropriate record.
- If you configure Email to Salesforce to associate emails to matching opportunities, Salesforce searches the To and CC fields for the email addresses of your contacts. If contacts are found, Salesforce saves the email to the Activity History related list on all open opportunities, as long as the contact is assigned a contact role on the opportunity. For example, the contact may be assigned the role of Decision Maker on an opportunity.
- Email to Salesforce can create a maximum of 50 email activities for each email it receives. It can relate up to 50 contacts to each email task record.
- The size limit for an attached file is 25 MB when attached directly to the related list. The size limit for multiple files attached to the same email is 25 MB, with a maximum size of 5 MB per file. For each matching record, all attachments sent with the email are duplicated, which affects your data size limit. Any attachments that aren’t added are listed in the confirmation email you receive from Salesforce.
- Email text and HTML is automatically truncated to 32 KB.
- Email to Salesforce is required to use the Add Email feature with Salesforce for Outlook. Disabling one feature will automatically disable the other. With Salesforce for Outlook, you add emails using the Add Email and Send and Add toolbar buttons instead of the BCC field.
- If Salesforce can’t match any email addresses for recipients that appear in the To and Cc fields of emails you add to Salesforce, the My Unresolved Items page displays one row for each email.