Andrew Smith, Tenth Scholarship Winner 2016
Winner, Tenth Cranfield Australian Alumni Scholarship
After completing high school in Queensland, Andrew enlisted in the Australian Army where he trained as an Electronic Warfare Linguist and was allocated to the Defence Signals Directorate in Canberra.
Andrew later deployed as a Tetum linguist to Timor Leste on Peace Keeping operations, where he was used extensively by the United Nations on Medical hearts and minds missions to some of the most remote parts of the country. This deployment served as valuable preparation for the following years of service Andrew was to render in Afghanistan as part of the Special Operations Task Group. During this Time Andrew gained valuable experience as a leader and mentor to the local indigenous forces.
After 10 years’ service Andrew transitioned from the ADF to Schlumberger, an oilfield services company, where he provided technical drilling services on one of Australia’s largest and most complex offshore gas drilling campaigns.
Andrew has now graduated from Cranfield and working in London.
- Susan Kennedy, Eleventh Scholarship Winner, 2017
- Andrew Smith, Tenth Scholarship Winner 2016
- Lily Rattray, Ninth Scholarship Winner 2015
- Craig Kitto, Eighth Scholarship Winner 2014
- Daniel George, Seventh Scholarship winner 2013
- David Scollon, Sixth Scholarship winner 2012
- Anna Baggoley, Fifth Scholarship winner 2011
- Todd Myers, Fourth Scholarship winner, 2010
- Damini Singh, Third Scholarship winner, 2009
- Robert Milagre, Second Scholarship winner, 2008
- Sarah Nicholson – Inaugural Scholar 2007
- History of the McFarlane Dollar